The Big List of Microphone Shootouts
I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “get it right at the source.” Besides capturing a solid performance, microphone choice and placement is key.
Some engineers have an unhealthy attitude (or bias) toward microphones. For some, It’s like being hypnotized by a “signature” series instrument. Sorry, but buying one is NOT going to make you instantly sound like your musical hero. Yes, your idol may have used one specific mic on his voice, but it was his voice. Your “holy grail” mic is going to respond differently to every source. Also be weary of choosing mics based on luxurious price-tags. A less expensive mic with thoughtful placement can often provide fantastic results if given the chance.
I love finding mic shootouts online. It’s a quick & easy way to get familiar with how different mics respond to a single source. These comparisons bring microphone characteristics to the (audible) surface, which is valuable ear training.
Here are some great mic shootouts for your perceptive pleasure:
- Transom – 19 Vocal Mics Shootout @ Indre Studio
- Recording Hacks – Voiceover Microphone Shootout
- Recording Hacks – Neumann Mic Shootout: U87i vs U87ai
- Randy Coppinger – Lawson L47 II vs. Heil PR40
- Randy Coppinger – Audio Technica AT4060 vs. Neumann u87Ai
- Randy Coppinger – Audio Technica AT4050 vs. AT4033
- Randy Coppinger – Neumann u87Ai vs. Shure SM7B or Shure KSM32 vs Gefell UMT 70
- Sessions With Slau – Vocal Mic Shootout @ Legacy Recording
- Sessions With Slau – Vocal Mic Shootout
- Recording Hacks – Acoustic Guitar Mic Shootout: KSM44A, AT4047MP, V69ME & more
- Recording Hacks – Acoustic Guitar Tube Mic Shootout
- Blue Microphones – Bottle vs. AKG C12 Mic Shoot-Out
- Randy Coppinger’s Wiki – Acoustic Guitar Mic Shootout
- Recording Hacks – Overhead Mic Shootout
- Randy Coppinger’s Wiki – Djembe Microphone Shootout
- The Home Recording Show – Nothing But Kick Drum Mics
- Recording Hacks – JZ DMK1 3 Piece Drum Microphone Kit