50 Must-Read Pro Audio Articles from 2014
Another year in the books, another year dodging calls from that Sweetwater rep (yep the adapter still works) — and now, another year-end article roundup on the blog.
Lots on deck for 2015. Currently putting a bow on a Quiztones redesign and zipping the latest mixing tutorial from Matthew Weiss — available in just a few weeks. It’s a beast. If you’re already a customer, or grab one of our tutorials now, you’ll get a discount code via email as soon as the new one drops.
Thanks for all your support this year. We’re excited to bring you new articles and videos faster than ever in 2015.
I hope you enjoy these posts and don’t forget to check out our video roundup.
- 10 Mistakes Intentionally Left In Classic Recordings
- My GO TO…Mix Bus: Three Pros Share Their Secret Weapons
- How the Emulation Is Made: Universal Audio’s Manley Variable Mu Limiter Compressor Plugin
- 11 Characteristics of Highly Successful Mixing Engineers
- Psychology of a Mix Engineer: Interview With Matthew Weiss
- 13 Advanced Concepts for Creating Depth in a Mix
- Why You Shouldn’t Care About Digital Clipping
- How to Mix Music: A Beginner’s Guide
- The Best Free AAX Plugins
- 9 Tips for Working With Compression
- My Easy Automated Backup Strategy
- Making Platinum Breakz 4 LP – Production Tips From Metalheadz Artists
- OS X Maintenance – How to Clean Up and Speed Up Mac OS X
- Headphone Comparison: Audio Technica ATH-M50x vs. Shure SRH 840
- Rob Bridgett on Sound for Pre-School Games
- Pro Tools Sync: The Short Video Problem
- Nasty ProTools Errors
- 3 EQ Techniques That Many People Use (And Why They’re Wrong)
- Mastering for Loudness. Don’t Do It. Or If You Have To, Try This…
- How To Know If You’re Doing A Good Job Mastering
- Using EQ for a Louder Mix
- The Most Powerful Tool
- Building a Home Mastering Studio – Is it possible ?
- It’s a kind of magic – Or: It’s not about the f****** format !
- How to sound loud on iTunes Radio — the secret of U2′s new album
- If you don’t take this crucial (but simple) step, you’ll never know what your music REALLY sounds like
- Mastering monitoring: how to choose speakers that are up to the challenge
- 9 Common Ways Producers Kill Their Creativity (and How to Fight Back)
- Why You Should Be Glad You Have Problems (And What Magic: The Gathering Can Teach Us About Them)
- The Ultimate Way to Break Through Writers Block, Eliminate Creative Stress, Stop Second Guessing Yourself, Remove Self-Doubt, Find Your Unique Voice, and Enjoy Making Art
The Home Recording Show:
- Show 244 – Tips for Mobile Drum Tracking Sessions and more
- Show 230 – Glass Wands Silverleaf deconstructed with Chase Pagan
- Show 235 – Boz Digital Labs Interview with Boz
Audio Geek Zine:
- How to make your guitar picks last longer in six seconds
- Lessons learned on a weekend tracking gig
- Video: Analog Tape Feedback Regeneration
The Recording Revolution:
Behind the Mixer:
- The Art of Snare Mixing and a Frog – Yes, a Frog
- Pick the Right Headworn Microphone
- 13 Things to Know Before You Start Mixing in 2015
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Church Audio
- Is Your Small Church Audio Team Under-Equipped?
Home Studio Corner:
- Ask Joe #89 — Goals (and my 50-Song Challenge)
- Ask Joe #100 — 5 Lessons I Learned in 5 Years of Running HSC
- 1 Second Trick for Better Background Vocals (video)
- Simple Guide to Mix Bus Compression (video)
- How to Mix a Song in One Hour
- 7 Motivational Quotes From Recording Experts That’ll Kickstart Your Musical Inspiration
- 8 Frequency Viruses You Need To EQ From Your Mix’s Immune System
- The 5 Things You Know About Mics But Forget Every Week
- How Do You Fix Muddy Vocals? Start With These 5 Steps
- Whoosh Review
- Silence is the Sound of Listening
- Gen 3 Helicopter Implementation in Frostbite/Battlefield 4
- Dialogue on the move – Panning in Gravity, Cars and Strange Days
- Vehicle Engine design – Project CARS, Forza Motorsport 5 and REV
Missing our best stuff?
Sign up to be the first to learn about new tutorials, sales, giveaways and more.