50 Must-Read Pro Audio Articles from 2012
2012 went by so fast. Every year goes by fast. Only minutes and hours go by slow. I spent most of my days freelancing for a great audio software company, while simultaneously exercising my inherent need to build and promote my own products.
I’d prefer the world didn’t end. The world didn’t end.
To close out the year, I thought I’d round up some great articles for you. Because who doesn’t love a good list post? I reached out to some of my favorite bloggers to get their most popular articles from 2012. Enjoy and have a great year.
- Compression and Limiting — The Punchbag Analogy
- Dither or Distort? Listen and Decide for Yourself
- Deep Bass Time – How Pendulum Got THAT Bass Sound
- How a Shotgun Microphone Works
- Pro Tools and H.264 Video
- DIY Speaker Isolation
- Headphone Comparison: Shure SRH 840 vs. Sony MDR-7506
- Video Games and Loudness Standards: Interview with Sony’s Garry Taylor
- Stephan Schutze – A Week Chasing Planes
- Ambience and Interactivity
- Psychoacoustics: Faking the Space
The Home Recording Show:
- Show 192 – Hard Rock Mixing Autopsy and more!
- Show 187 – Grand Piano Recording and more!
- Show 164 – Clean guitar recording and Drugstore Fanatics
- Show 161 – Valhalla Ubermod review and interview
- Show 153 – Recording Sound Effects With Ric Viers
Audio Geek Zine:
- Direct Box Basics
- Re-Amping Explained
- Review: Slate Digital Virtual Console Collection
- How to Use Multiband Compression
Pro Sound Web:
- Purple Sounds Best: A Matter of Mass Psychology
- Method to the Madness: The Anatomy of an Audio Rack
- A Busy Place: Sound for Radiohead on Tour
- Fun with Feedback: Audio Mythology Alert!
Sessions with Slau:
D.I.Y. Recording Equipment:
- Designing a New Piece of Recording Gear Pt. 1: The Concept
- How to Build a Boutique Passive DI
- “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Audio Electronics” Answers Podcast! (pt. 1)
Silver Lake Studio:
Home Studio Corner:
- 6 Ways to “Reboot” Your Studio
- What I Learned About Mixing in 2012
- Simply Recording Podcsat — Episode #16: 3 Steps to Getting Your First Paid Recording Gig
- The Chris Lord-Alge Secret of Simple Mixes
- 6 Ways You Can Ruin Your Recordings Without Even Knowing It
- 4 Elements of Great Music Production
- Are You Telling Yourself These 10 Audio Production Lies?
Behind the Mixer:
- EQ Vocals Like You’re Cleaning Out The Garage
- Risky Business: The Only Way to Better Mixing
- Vocal Microphone and Vocal EQ Resource Page
The Recording Revolution:
- The Hard Truth: There is No Magic Bullet
- The 85% Solution in the Studio
- The Best Studio Microphones for Under $1000
- Vocal EQ & Compression Bonanza
- Kick Ass Kick Thump with EQ & Sidechain Compression
- Edit That Vocal in the Face
Audio Fan Zine: